Friday, May 2, 2014

Summer Success

Learning all year-round is very important for all students. If your school does not have something already in place for this (book club, activities, calendar, etc), I have created a calendar for grades 2 & 3 to complete over the summer break.  In the past when I have created the calendar, I have given an activity for each weekday, journal writing, and even just reading each day of the week.  My calendars vary considering the needs of the class that year.

Now, the returning the calendar part...

This has always been an issue, and I haven't figured out the best way to implement this, unless it is required by the school. Although, you can always give out rewards. As students bring the calendar back with parent signatures on each day of the completed task, I give students some sort of treat. I have given out snacks, drinks, pick from the Treasure Box, etc. I like to reward those students for going above and beyond.

If your school does a "Meet the Teacher" on the last day of school, this is a perfect time to hand this out for your upcoming class. What a great way to already challenge them and get them thinking before you even have time to teach them anything.  Also, students are going to be more likely to turn it in as they want to make a good impression with you to start the year off.  I was amazed with the results!  With this, you are able to give even better rewards like "No Homework Passes" and things that will benefit them during that school year in your class. But I know this is not an option for many schools.

I created a reusable calendar and checklist you can use with your current students or the ones for the upcoming year. I created a calendar (with no dates) so you are able to customize and use it from year to year! This product includes both a second grade version and a third grade version.

The Calendar Version: Includes activities 7-days a week. Monday-Friday are activities for reading, math, and writing. Saturday-Sunday are social activities in which students are creating, building relationships, or enjoying nature. A parent signature is required each day an activity is completed.

The Checklist Version: Includes activities 7-days a week. There is no specific order students have to complete the activities in, but they are both academic and social activities. A weekly parent signature is only required once the student has completed everything on the checklist.

I created both students, because as we know..you know your students better than anyone! Both versions are available in one product in my TPT store.



No comments:

Post a Comment