Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Reviewing for ELA Tests

Although I love teaching new curriculum, having review days are something fun and fresh for everyone. I used to have students write topics on index cards or use white boards to hold up for activities (quick formative assessments). But I have found that I:

  1. Couldn't read their handwriting (too small, messy, etc.)
  2. The cards lasted through one activity or the boards were stained forever.
  3. It wasn't as quick to read the responses given because they were written in many different "fonts".
I decided to spend some time creating little cards that I could print on heavier paper and have the option to laminate (ahh, the lamination machine!). I knew I could either collect them after the activity or have students keep them in plastic bags for a follow-up lesson. My students love getting their special little cards to use during review activities as well. Something new and exciting!

One of the topics I used them for was "Types of Sentences". Students were given a card with a type of sentence on each one. I would post a sentence on the board/overhead. They were not allowed to show a neighbor or me the card they selected until I said the magic word/sound. I would either countdown verbally, yell "Review", or blow the train whistle in my classroom. Students loved the excitement of it, and it really showed me who needed extra help. I would then go over the answer with the entire class.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/English-Language-Arts-Review-Cards-1098119


 Click the picture or here to purchase the product!

And just for my favorite followers on Facebook, 3L + 1T, and TPT here is a
{FREEBIE}
for literary genre review cards. Enjoy!


As always, don't forget to follow Facebook, the blog via email, and my TPT Store.






No comments:

Post a Comment