Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Vocabulary Practice...FREEBIE Included

One skill set I find difficult to teach is vocabulary. I just fill like it is one of those "drill & kill" skills that are not much fun to teach and you unfortunately do not have as much time as you'd like to spend on it everyday. What is even worse is the fact that it is really important!

As I have tried many different types of vocabulary lessons, activities, technology, etc. I still need students to practice. Have I mentioned those awful worksheets the reading series always come with...gag! What a waste of time for students to complete and for me to look over.

I have created a matrix I use with my students weekly. They complete this matrix during their literacy station time. It is amazing for a spiral review, focusing on dictionary skills:

  • ABC order
  • Guide Words
  • Parts of Speech (abbreviations as well: v, n, adj)
  • antonym/synonym
  • Using it in students own language
  • Finding the correct definition
  • Being able to visualize the word (illustrating
My students complete this task before they come to my small group rotation. Our books will cover those same words, and it is great when students have this background knowledge they have found on their own before meeting with me. As always, you learn more when you figure out the answers yourself rather than someone telling you. 

My students seemed to be more alert about the new vocabulary, and they also seem confident in their vocabulary and even dictionary skills. This is a task they knew they needed to complete and sat their independently with their dictionary...too cute! Check out the FREEBIE below to use it in your classroom as well. Good luck!


Check out my Teachers Pay Teachers Store or the FREEBIE here!


No comments:

Post a Comment